My wedding took place ages ago… but… by the time I got the photos I was already way way pregnant, elephant like pregnant and very exhausted. Then I got myself a really bossy baby that didn’t let me do anything else besides soothing and entertaining him… so finally!
It is based on Burda 03/09 dress #116. I added some pleats in the middle to make some room for 5 months belly.
It was easy to make but in the end didn’t look so good on me. A couple of days before the wedding I was just about to give this dress up (I had another dress – bought one), and called to moan to my friend Keren. She came that evening and helped me with the fit and finishing edges.
We ended up sewing the bra and slip to the dress, but the result was beautiful and I was very happy with it.
Long time no see…
Well, I was up to a lot, not in the sewing business but with screaming reflux baby in hands, trying to cope as a new mommy.
In the first few months I was mostly in bed, with the baby sleeping on my chest, looking at the sewing machines in the other room and dying to sew, but just couldn’t.
Well, he’s now six months old (!) time runs fast, although I can confess that it was so difficult in the first 4-5 months that it really actually went so slow.
He’s a very curious and active little monkey, and sooo cute.
He goes to sleep at about 18:00 every evening, so hopefully I will manage to go back to sewing soon.
I still owe you the pictures of my pregnancy wedding dress, so I’ll post that next.
We’ve just returned from a weekend in Eilat (to celebrate my BD 🙂 )…
Now, I take the risk of boring you, but I couldn’t resist post the new photos Nitzan took of my favorite retro maternity swimming suit.
The pattern is from one of those oldies 70s burda magazines, and the fabric and lining are Lycra. It’s extremely comfortable and I love it.
The original post can be found here.
One word about the bra pad. It took me a while to figure out how to do it…
What I eventually did, which is very simple when you think about it, was after I sew the lining I put it on me, pinned the padding in its place above the lining and then machine stitched the lower part of the padding to the lining. piece of cake!
I had no idea I look like this… not until I saw the pictures my friend Teressa took on the beach.
But, I guess that’s called being pregnant. it’s just that… my belly and buttocks are enormous comparing to my legs which somehow remained skinny, and it looks funny.
Anyway, this is my new retro maternity bathing suit. It’s very comfortable and I love the fabric. I’ve made it using a pattern from a 40 something years old burda. The pattern is not originally maternity, but it’s size 46 and luckily it fits (Lycra…)
As for the behind views, I’ll spare you the close ups 🙂
Well…. no I’m not sewing pink clothes for my little baby boy (due in 3 months btw!), but at least I can sew pink tops for my belly.
I’ve drafted this pattern from a basic sloper. It was very easy – just got rid of the darts, added the pleats and used a bias strip for the collar. I will try to upload the pattern (along with the 60s maternity dress pattern) as soon as I get near a scanner (or perhaps I’ll finally buy one).
The fabric is such a delicate cotton, it almost feels as silk. If you happen to be in Israel, you absolutely HAVE to go to the fabric district in Tel Aviv. For me, it’s just 10 minutes drive from home, and there are about 25 fabric and notions stores on the same street (Nachlat Binyamin). You can find really good expensive stuff, but you can also find designer outlet fabrics for really cheap prices like the Miss Sixty’s one I used for my 60s maternity dress (2.5$ per meter) or 2$ for the whole piece of fabric I used for this top.
Next post I’ll show you my latest fabric bargains from last week (have to take photos…)
It started with buying 3 meters of a beautiful fabric with a really great print which I didn’t want to break.
I decided on the burda 03/2012 front knot dress, the longer version, because this fabric calls for a long dress…
Of course I said to myself, no way this dress needs 5+ meters of fabric, it must be one of those burda exaggerations.
After hours of copying the pattern pieces (you need to glue several big sheets of papers together), I found out indeed my 3 meters are not enough… 😦
So, quickly, before I loose the moment of actually sitting down and sewing, I shortened the pattern and used another fabric from my stash.
The beautiful fabric will have to wait for another long dress…
This fabric is jersey, so I had to take it down one size and also take the shoulders further in.
It is very flowy and comfortable, and I used a very thin netting for the lining so it’s not too heavy for the summer.
I’ve made this dress to my gorgeous 2.5 years niece whom I love to bits!
Now, you might think what a lovely, delicate, English Rose she is.
However, she’s rather hyper active, sweet and full of life and happiness!
Seconds before the dress was soaking wet…
The top part of the dress and the sleeves are from Fait Main 353, the bottom part is just a rectangle (what was left of the fabric).